The mission of The Pembroke Hill School is to enable all
students to build character and to develop their intellectual, physical and
creative abilities to the highest level.
- Create an environment of academic excellence to ensure that each of our
graduates is thoroughly prepared for college through a challenging and globally-inspired
curriculum that provides a sound knowledge base in the liberal arts,
mathematics and science.
independent and articulate communicators who are critical thinkers,
collaborative, innovative, analytical and able to problem solve.
- Place a strong emphasis on
character and citizenship education and provide experiences in life skills,
leadership and service.
- Foster and promote
emotional, social and physical well-being through strong athletic and wellness
- Develop student
creativity through engagement in the arts with a comprehensive and vibrant arts
- Explore emerging
technologies and opportunities that will enhance the school’s programs and
expand our students’ related capabilities.
(Curriculum, Instruction and Learning)
- foster in our students the joy of learning, the love of discovery, the
confidence to grow, and a sense of responsibility and respect for others.
- Providing an academically
challenging educational program in which students and
faculty continually strive for academic excellence through a curriculum
that is coordinated within each grade and from grade to grade.
- Ensuring a nurturing environment where
children are central, and each child is understood and receives individual
- Using a wide range of teaching methods that effectively
engage students in learning activities and foster critical thinking.
- Employing a wide range of developmentally
appropriate assessment tools that allow students to demonstrate mastery and
practical application of knowledge/skills, while promoting self-knowledge and
encouraging reflection; teachers will use results to monitor student learning
and guide instruction.
- Incorporating technology
into our instructional program so that students use technology for collaboration,
research, analysis and problem solving.
- maintain a community of exceptional faculty, administration and staff who embody
a love of children, teaching and learning.
- Recruiting, hiring and retaining exceptional
professionals who are well trained in their subject area or grade level, have appropriate
knowledge of the educational needs of students in their classes, strive
for excellence in their teaching and embrace the
- Expecting professionals to embody and promote
a love of learning, model high standards of character and integrity, represent
the school well and require as much from themselves as they do from their
- Maintaining an appealing environment through
competitive compensation, superior facilities and a culture in which teachers
and staff respect each other and work well together within and among the four
- Providing ongoing professional development opportunities
for faculty in order to create the most effective learning environment
and curriculum for students.
- be an inclusive community that welcomes, respects, values and benefits from
individual differences, and reflects this through our policies, educational
programs, activities and daily practices.
We accomplish by:
- Integrating multiple perspectives consistent
with current and responsible educational practices into each classroom through
materials and discussions.
- Recruiting and retaining an ethnically and
culturally diverse community of families, faculty and staff.
- Pursuing gender balance at each grade level and ensuring gender equity,
participation and achievement in curricular and co-curricular programs.
- Fostering respect, promoting awareness and
ensuring a safe environment concerning issues of individual differences,
including age, gender, culture, religion, race, sexual orientation, socio-economic
and other differences in age-appropriate ways.
- Providing accessibility for persons with
disabilities, meeting legal requirements and promoting an awareness of the
concerns of persons with disabilities in our community.
promote strong relationships with all school constituents and our educational
- Promoting and maintaining strong
relationships with parents, alumni, grandparents and friends.
- Fostering good citizenship and positive
relationships with neighborhoods, local governments, businesses and cultural
- Collaborating and serving as a resource for
peer educational organizations.
- Integrating electronic communication, such as
website, social media and internet marketing, into the school's communications
- Honoring our school’s past and preserving
historical materials to share with future generations.
- effectively use, manage and improve our physical and financial resources to support
our mission and to provide a balance between excellence in programming and
financial accessibility to families.
We accomplish this by:
- Seeking and implementing the most effective
methods of resource management to achieve the school's mission.
- Building and managing the
- Providing appropriate analytical tools for
effective decision-making and long-range planning such as benchmarking,
multiple-year budgets, contingency planning and analysis.
- Ensuring consistency and continuity in the
stewardship of our resources by focusing on documentation, policy and
- Creating, maintaining and periodically
updating master plans for the physical plant and for technology acquisition,
funding and implementation.
- Identifying and participating in
practices that protect the environment and reduce the school’s consumption of
Adopted by the Pembroke Hill School Board of Trustees on May 10, 2012.